Summer 2015 - Expectations Vs. Reality

It feels like I've had the longest summer of my life. I moved back here to Weymouth at the start of April, and when I move back to Winchester next week I'll have been here for 5 1/2 months, which is crazy! I had such high hopes for my super long summer, and honestly it's not lived up to my expectations at all. I thought I'd have so much free time to get so much done, but I've barely done anything I hoped I would. So as I'm on the brink of moving back to Winchester, and my summer draws to a close, I thought I'd weigh up just how successful my time has been.
 
 
 
Expectation - I'd get loads of uni work done
Reality - I've watched every single episode of Sex and the City
 
As I have my dissertation to write this year at uni, I thought I'd get a bit of a head start and do absolutely loads of reading and drafting of my ideas, so that when I go back I can focus on writing a really good piece of work. While watching Sex and the City is vital to writing my dissertation (I'm basing it on the representation of women in sitcoms...), it's pretty much all the work I've bothered to do as far as prepping for my dissertation goes. I have barely done any wider reading at all, which means as soon as I move back to Winchester I'm going to have to knuckle down and actually do some serious work.
 
 
Expectation - I'd work loads and save lots of money
Reality - I've worked a fair bit, but not saved as much as I'd hoped
 
I've been working quite a bit this summer, so why isn't my savings account overflowing? I've had a bit too much of a social life and gone shopping too much is the answer. Every time I have a little bit of money, I'm already planning what I'm spending it on instead of saving it up. I've got enough to pay for everything I have planned until the end of October, but after that? Nope. Got to start saving again.
 
 
Expectation - I'd spend as much time enjoying Weymouth as possible
Reality - Most of my time seeing Weymouth has been on my commute to work
 
I'd hoped to hit the beach a bit this summer, go on long dog walks, and just generally adventure out and about as much as I could, but I've barely done this at all. Minus the very few days where I've gone for long walks along the beach, or spent the day on the beach, the only real part of Weymouth I've seen is the route to and from work on the bus. How depressing!
 
 
Expectation - I'd have loads of free time to chill and see my friends
Reality - I've either been working or napping/sleeping..
 
Although I've been careful not to waste my days off as I've always planned to do things, see people and go places, on the days I work,  I'm usually pretty tired so I just crash. Therefore, I've wasted so much of my summer just by being lazy! I've not seen my friends half as much as I hoped I would, which is massively disappointing, especially as I won't really be able to see them again really until next summer. *sad face*
 
 
Expectation - I'd go to the gym, eat better, and lose weight
Reality - I'm exactly the same...
 
As part of having so much free time, I thought I'd be able to go to the gym (hahaha!!!), eat so much better and healthier, and subsequently lose some weight. Have I? Hell no. If anything, recently I'm eating worse because I've started snacking instead of having proper meals, and I'm so tired that going to the gym doesn't even cross my mind. I think it's pretty fair to say I haven't achieved my dream summer body in the slightest...
 
 
Expectation - Finally having the time to sort out all my old stuff and redecorate my room
Reality - Leaving it all until one week before I move out
 
Being back in Weymouth for pretty much half of the year, I thought it would make a lot of sense to have a huge clear out, and redecorate my room so it's less cluttered and just nicer. Although I did manage to upgrade my bed to a much comfier double bed instead of the single bed I've had since forever, my room looks exactly the same as it always has. And as for my huge summer clear out? I've left it all for the last couple of weeks before I move out of course! How on earth am I this disorganised...
 
 
I hope you've all had a much more successful summer than I have! Although I have done a lot, it just hasn't been all the things I'd hoped I would do which is such a shame. I guess there's always summer 2016....
 
Much love  ♥  
 
 

No comments