American Adventures - Chapter Three...

Here it is, the last instalment of my crazy American adventures. Again, I'm sorry they're coming to you so long after I've actually been, I'm just lazy let's not shy away from that! I could've written enough for a dissertation about my time in the USA, in fact my journal essay about being there is nearly 6,000 words, so I've had to drastically cut and edit bits out just so I don't bore you all. And speaking of boring you all, let me swiftly move on to continue where we left off...
 
 

The Grand Canyon, Route 66, and Vegas.. again..

One of our final stops was a town called Flagstaff. Honestly, I really enjoyed Flagstaff, it reminded me a lot of Winchester, only of course, a lot more American. I could definitely see my self living there if I had to, it was comfortable enough, even if it was snowing in Arizona. (I know, I totally didn't pack for snow in Arizona of all places...)
 
(Snowy Arizona)
 
The following morning we set off for one of the highlights of the trip, The Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is certainly that, grand. Despite the rain and the fog, the Grand Canyon is a truly majestic sight to behold. I arrived preloaded with many questions. Is it anything more than a giant crack in the earth? Why do people come from all over the world to see it? Is it merely a photo opportunity?
 
(The amazing Grand Canyon)
 
Well for a start, it was raining/foggy/snowing during our day out at The Grand Canyon, which definitely made for a surreal experience. The Grand Canyon, despite the weather, has been a firm highlight of my time in America. It’s such an iconic place, and to say I’ve travelled all that way, hiked slightly down into it, and learnt about the history of the site and the people there, makes me very proud. I remembered I commented to one of my lecturers earlier in the trip about how we’d already experienced canyons, and remarked what was so special about the Grand Canyon. Now I’ve been, I can see exactly what is special about the Grand Canyon. There is nowhere else on this planet that can rival it in terms of geological impact. Its size is astonishing, terrifying, and a reminder of just how small you are as a person on this ginormous earth.
 
(Selfie at the Grand Canyon)
 
It was with a heavy heart that we left our life on the open road to return back to Las Vegas. The freedom of the open road was exhilarating, and I wasn't ready to be squeezed back into Las Vegas, with people walking into me with every step I take. Nevertheless, I was excited to get back to Vegas for one more night.

(One of the many roads on which we travelled)
 
We stopped on the way a couple of times, firstly in Seligman. Seligman is a town just off the main road, along what's left of the old iconic Route 66. Route 66 became famous for being the main road between Chicago and California, and being used during the Dust Bowl Migration of the 1930’s. However, this is not how Route 66 is remembered. In Seligman, the idea of a 1950’s America is being sold, using figures such as Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe, who have nothing to do with Route 66. So why are they being used? Is it because the 1950s are the golden age of American motoring? I guess it would be pretty hard to sell the idea of a depression era and migration, which is why this idea is one which is alternatively sold. I got fairly bored in Seligman. Although there were many, many gift shops, it was a case of once you’d been in one, you’d been in them all. Nothing stood out as eye-catching or different, it was simply a much tackier version of what I’d envisioned before visiting.
 
(Route 66 in Seligman)
 
Chloride, the second of our stops, was very different. The town seemed deserted, with little to no claims to fame, minus the local bar, ‘Digger Dave’s’, which was full of memorabilia, including a Tom Jones poster in the toilet. Here there seemed to be the space for freedom for creativity and expression, even though it felt like a ghost town. I felt like I was walking around in a western, just waiting to turn a corner, see the tumbleweed rolling along, and stumble into a shootout.

(Inside 'Digger Daves' with the girls)
 
I’ve only really come across the Hoover Dam in the Superman film, but it was every bit as impressive as I’d expected. Spanning across the Colorado River between Arizona and Nevada, it provides power and water to many places in the West, such as Las Vegas. Recently I went to the cinema with my mum and watched San Andreas, and during the beginning of the film, you see Hoover Dam being destroyed due to an earthquake. Now that I've been there, it's astonishing to think how iconic the place is, and it's truly a structure to behold, one which only something so extreme could destroy.

(Claudia and I looking very windswept in front of Hoover Dam)
 
I have to admit, in the final moments of my American adventure, Las Vegas has won me over. It got me. I’m officially converted to city life, although my bank account is screaming at me not to. I feel pretty bad to admit that I was relieved to be back in the city after my time on the road. Maybe because I’m from a small town, it made such an exciting change to be in such an unfamiliar, large place. One thing is for certain, I shopped until I dropped during my last 24 hours in Vegas, to the point where I genuinely ran out of money and had to call home to beg mum to put more in my bank account. No shop was left unshopped, and my suitcase was packed to the seams with goodies from MAC, Sephora and Victoria's Secret.
 
(Ahh MAC, one of my greatest loves)
 
When it was time to leave, I was exhausted. We didn't stop in the whole two weeks we were there, we'd crammed something into every waking hour on the trip, and in many ways I was totally ready to go home. I also was super reluctant to go home, because I love being stateside so damn much. I think that's why I chose my degree, because deep down I wish I was American, and their crazy way of life is so appealing to me. Thankfully I'll be back in the USA for my 21st, getting sophisticatedly wasted in a classy bar in Manhattan, and watching Broadway musicals. But as far as this trip was concerned, all that was left to do was to board the plane with my significantly heavier suitcase, and watch Vegas shrink further into the distance as we climbed up into the sky.
 
(Oh I will be back soon....)
 
So there it is, my American adventures. I miss being there so much, I was insanely happy for the entire two weeks, and wish so much that it could've lasted forever. Next time I'll be blogging about my next adventure in Edinburgh, and the incredible festival Wildlife I went to in Brighton.
 
Until then
 
Much love
 

 

No comments